Monday, March 28, 2011

My 19 Hour 26 Minute Vancouver Layover

We flew from Chicago O'Hare (ORD) to Vancouver YVR on for Saturday overnight. Nobody calls O'Hare "ORD" (unless they are in the airline industry); everyone calls the Vancouver airport YVR - I think that's its name. Anyhow we flew on a Airbus A320 (4 exit row windows, 2 on each side) and returned on the slightly smaller A319 (2 exit row windows, 1 on each side). We had the same cabin crew for each trip - they shared our layover (or we shared theirs!). They were really nice, based in Washington, D.C. Here is the sign for the airport exit of the Vancouver subway. (You can get an all-day $9 (Canadian) metro pass at the 7-Eleven in the airport. Spread the word.)


I must admit that it was a bit too cold for me in Vancouver, but here I am in a park with no name (AFAIK) downtown. I was interested in the pigeons but here I am nodding to the camera. It didn't rain in Vancouver after all - it was a nice (though cool) day. I had the Kleftico (roast lamb) for $14.95 from yummy Takis' Taverna (Greek food) on Davie Street.


Our room in the Airport Fairmont Hotel overlooked the airport tarmac (a "mountain view"). Here's my silhouette at dusk. It was "Dog's in the City" month at Fairmont Vancouver! How pet friendly is that? We just had to check it out. I scanned ourroom carefully: no dogs, alas.

And here I am jumping on the floor. Not the most interesting photos, I know. But it was a fierce room and, what do you want for 19 hours? I am glad to say that I did not take a swim in the hotel pool. Canada's customs/immigration agents are very cat friendly. They all but arrested my Daddy (for having a suspiciously short layover) but didn't bat an eye at me - and even stamped my travel passport.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how cool that you get to travel!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete